All parents remember well how their baby first stood on its feet, as it did the first step. Nevertheless, this joy is possible only under the condition of healthy and strong legs in a child.
What are the signs?
You should not think that with this disease only the shape of the foot changes, the disease entails a change in the entire musculoskeletal system, so it is important to determine the disease in time. The first signs will help:
- Pay attention to the activity. They have a lot of energy: they want to go uphill, ride on a swing, and follow another. Look at his/her behavior. If the child is active, but quickly gets tired, perhaps something gives him/her discomfort, and this is something – beginning flatfoot.
- He/she complains that he/she has sore legs, may show in the area of the knees. It is also worth paying attention to the symptom, as the pain in the feet can “give” to the knees. If there are no bruises or visible injuries on the latter, it may be assumed that the plane foot develops.
- Pay attention to the feet by the end of the day. If they swell, it is another sign of illness.
- Periodically pay attention to the baby’s shoes, namely, how it is worn out. If there is more on the inside, then there is a reason to check other signs indicating flatfoot, and also to carry out a home test to determine flatfoot.
Plane foot can and should be determined at home, doing it periodically (every six months) and in game form. Have the child leave a mark on the paper. Thus, take a white sheet and watercolors. Paint the leg, and let all the force come on a sheet of paper. His/her trail may tell you whether the disease develops or not.
The imprint must be sickle-shaped, that is, without the inside of the leg. If it is fully imprinted, it is worthwhile to show the baby to a specialist – an orthopedist.
However, the gait may say about it, when walking, he/she steps on the inner edge or turns the toes out.
But it is worth noting that a home test for plane feet does not give a 100% guarantee of correct results. In addition, up to 6 months with such a visual test is difficult to identify the beginning problem, which is why the orthopedic surgeon should do this!
When is it necessary to visit an orthopedic doctor?
Do not wait for visible external signs of the appearance of flat feet. It is recommended to visit the orthopedic surgeon for the prevention of:
- The first month of life. Plane foot may be a congenital disease, which is why it is necessary to visit an orthopedic doctor.
- In 3 and 6 months of life of the baby, when a specialist can detect rickets.
- In 1 year. As a rule, the child is already sitting independently, crawling, and may even start walking. The doctor must determine whether the spinal flexure is correct, the range of motion in the joints, etc.
- In 3 years. The orthopedist checks the posture, gait and measures the length of the limbs.
What are degrees?
They said, but we repeat once more, the sooner to identify the beginning flatfoot, the easier it is to treat it.
The failure of the ligamentous apparatus is the very beginning of the disease. With the first degree, there are still no visible changes, but pain occurs if the baby has spent a lot of time “on his /her foot” while playing on the street. As a rule, the pain passes when the it is resting, sitting or lying down.
Simple plane feet represents the 1st stage, which is characterized by more intense pain, and the leg is placed flattened, meaning it grows in width.
Combined one is the 2nd degree of the disease. At this stage, the flatness may be seen with the naked eye. The stage is characterized by pain, which gives to the knees and joints. The child quickly gets tired while walking, and sometimes it is difficult for him/her to do it.
Treatment prescribed by the doctor depending on the stage. These can be warm baths, massages, special exercises, etc.